Any Google Sheet can be enabled to quickly merge column data into an email, letter or label document that you easily design with MergeFactory!
The MergeFactory uses simple and easy to understand merge markers to indicate where the merge will happen in your templates. For example the data markers, @colA@ & @colC@ will insert the selected row(s) data in columns A & C into your template. If your spreadsheet has a header column in the first row, then you can use the header markers %colA% & %colC% to insert the content of row #1 in columns A & C into your template. You can also use @date@ for a date marker and @time@ as a time marker.
Use your mouse to selectively merge the highlighted row or rows into your templates anywhere you add our simple merge markers into your created document or email templates.
Create your own templates so you have full control of your documents formatting and appearance. Standard label formats can also be created with our label merge.
Create your own email templates with basic plain text or import an email you created in Gmail for more styling. You can even paste in your own HTML content for the ultimate in control.
PCAdd-ons is offering MergeFactory coupon codes for free premium trial time for users providing thoughtful reviews and ratings in the Chrome Add-on or G Suite Marketplace. Please contact us if you would like to participate.
The video below offers an overview of creating an initial email template and document template for a spreadsheet with the MergeFactory installed.
Spreadsheet merge to email & document utility
The MergeFactory is yet another email and document merge add-on designed for Google Sheets. The main features that distinguish this add-on are:
- Emails and documents are merged with the currently selected row or rows of the Google Sheet, which is a very quick and intuitive way when working with spreadsheet data. Use your mouse or trackpad to highlighting one or multiple rows and then click the desired action button in the sidebar.
- No header rows are required and row content can be merged with simple column data markers; e.g. @colA@ @colF@ etc. to insert the corresponding (column A and F) data of the selected row into the template. The current @date@ and @time@ can also be used in templates.
- Column header markers; e.g. %colA% %colD% etc. are available to insert the corresponding (column A and D) content of row #1 into the template. Header markers always assumes the first row of a sheet is the header row.
- Multiple email, document, and label templates can be created for each Google Spreadsheet with the premium version.
- Each template can be limited to a specified sheet(s) / tab(s) in order to avoid merging errors in case you are selecting rows in the wrong tab when initiating a merge.
- Document merges can create either one multi-page document for all rows selected or multiple documents with each row being its own document.
- Simple plain text emails can be created quickly, easily, and with no html knowledge right in the sidebar. If you need more professional formatting, you can create and paste your own HTML for the ultimate in control.
- Additional email options (Cc, Bcc, From Name, Reply To, Attachments, HTML) are available to create professional quality email content.
- Email attachments are references to Google Drive file Id's in a comma separated list. This will convert Google Docs, Sheets, Slides and Drawings to PDF files and copy and send other types of files as an attachment.
- This add-on only utilizes Google G Suite services so your sheet data, document and email content is never shared outside of the Google environment and can not be accessed by the developer.
- Editors of a shared Google Sheet can also utilize this add-on after giving authorization and when any required Google Drive files are also shared. A shared sheet editor will need a premium subscription in order to access more than the first email or document template for the spreadsheet. A shared sheet editor can create, edit, or delete email and document templates, so share with caution.
- Payment is not required to install or use this add-on with one saved merge template for each individual spreadsheet. A premium version is available that allows for multiple email, document, and label templates for each individual spreadsheet.
The MergeFactory requests the following scopes when installed. Below is an explanation of why the add-on needs each permission.
Display and run third-party web content in prompts and sidebars inside Google applications: Google provides add-ons access to the sidebar and pop-up prompts as an interface with the user.
Allow the application to run when you are not present: Google allows add-ons to schedule time or event based triggers to perform some actions. The MergeFactory does not utilized this scope and only runs through user actions.
Connect to an external source: The MergeFactory connects to our merchant provider (Stripe) in order to process payments for our premium service. This is initiated through the "Go premium" sidebar.
See, edit, create, and delete all your Google Drive files: The MergeFactory will copy, create new documents, and then save them from your template files when a document or label merge is processed. The MergeFactory will copy Google Drive files and send them as attachments when an email merge is processed with "Attach Google Drive File ID's" included in the email details. The MergeFactory does not delete any Drive files.
See, edit, create and delete you spreadsheets in Google Drive: The MergeFactory can edit the spreadsheet it is being used on. The add-on does not create, edit, or delete any other spreadsheets in Drive. The MergeFactory may copy a Spreadsheet file and send it as a PDF attachment when an email merge is processed with "Attach Google Drive File ID's" included in the email details.
View and manage you Google Docs documents: The MergeFactory will copy and create new documents from your template files when a document or label merge is processed. The MergeFactory may copy a Document file and send it as a PDF attachment when an email merge is processed with "Attach Google Drive File ID's" included in the email details.
Send email as you: The MergeFactory will send email from your mail account when processing an email merge. When processing a premium subscription or using a coupon code, the add-on will send an email from the user's mail account to PCAdd-ons with the basics of the subscription. All emails sent by the add-on are available to view from your email sent folder.
The following permission was eliminated on 2/27/2019 due to Google policy changes in Gmail restricted scopes. The functionality this feature provided had to be removed.
View your email messages and settings: The MergeFactory will search your current email drafts, find the draft with a subject of "MergeFactory", and then copy the html body of this specific message when the user clicks the "Import Draft" button in the "Email Merge Sidebar". No other email messages are viewed or read by the add-on.
- Email Limits - The number of emails this add-on can send in a day is limited by your Google account. The current stated limit by Google is 100 emails per day for standard Google accounts and 1500 per day for the paid G Suite accounts. Email limits are not specific to this add-on, but refer to your total daily limit for all Google services. We offer a way to check your remaining email limit from within the Show email sidebar, the Go premium sidebar, and the About sidebar .
- Attachment Limits - Email attachments are references to Google Drive file Id's in a comma separated list. This will convert Google Docs, Sheets, Slides and Drawings to PDF files and send the PDF copy attached to the email. All other file types will be copied and sent as an attachment in the original file format. The sharing settings of the Drive file references is not relevant, since you are authorizing it to be copied and then sent out as an attachment in a email.
- Column references are static - Google Sheets columns can be moved by drag-n-drop or new columns can be inserted at any time. This should not effect the add-on, but you may need to update the column references in your Doc and Email templates to account for the new column letter references.
- Invalid emails - The add-on does not check for the validity of email addresses in your spreadsheets or entered into the email template fields. The results will vary according to the severity of the improper email address, and it will either send the email to the improper email address or the script will respond with a ScriptError: Invalid email: and the current action will end. Email fields can also include several coma separated valid email addresses.
- Doc Save As Name - When creating a Document template and the Doc Output Type is "One-Document", you can use column data marker references in the Doc Save As Name, but since the document may have several rows merged into the one document only the first row information will be used in the Doc Save As Name. Individual column data marker references are permitted when the Doc Output Type is "Multi-Document" and will work as expected. The @date@ and @time@ references can be used for both output types for the Doc Save As Name and can be handy in finding the correct documents in Google Drive.
- Document Header & Footer - Similar to the Doc Save As Name above, you can use column data markers in the header & footer of your document. However, when the Doc Output Type is "One-Document" only the first row information will be used in the headers and footers since the headers and footers are identical on each page.
- Document Template Images - Document templates with images should use the default option of "In line" as the positioning option. The use of the "Wrap text" or "Break text" options do not always work as expected.
- Google Script Limits - Google limits add-on scripts to a certain amount of continuous runtime. This means if you have a spreadsheet with thousands of rows or columns of data it is possible that some executions of the script may time out and not finish completely. We do not limit the amount of Docs or Emails in a single execution, but we recommend keeping the number of rows in your selections to a reasonable limit for any single action. There are practical limits to the size of an email body and the number of templates that can be created for a single Google Sheet. I have not run into these limits yet and will advise if or when these are known.
Payment is not required to install or use this add-on with one saved merge template for each individual spreadsheet. Our premium version is available at $8.00 for 3 months or $24.00 for 1 year and allows for multiple email, document, and label templates for each individual spreadsheet. Payments are only accepted in the Go Premium Sidebar of the add-on.
The tutorials page offers how to videos and images that may be useful in learning how to use this add-on. This add-on was created according to needs that I have encountered in my business and personal use of Google Sheets over several years. I may be open to making modifications and welcome any constructive feedback, but I reserve the right to determine the design and function of the add-on.
The add-on only utilizes Google services and does not share any of your data with outside of the Google environment or with me as the developer. The script has access to your email in order to send emails on your behalf and also access to your Google Drive in order to copy and create new documents. The only information I receive is your email address and postal code if you subscribe to our premium version, use a coupon code, or provide feedback information. I run a small business and have developed Google Scripts to help streamline some of my order processing and have decided to publish this add-on and hope that others find it useful in enhancing the Google ecosystem.
Use this add-on for merging row data into a doc or email template. Create an email template by choosing "MergeFactory > Show email sidebar" and then click the "View / Edit Email Details" to compose your first template with simple column @colA@ references.
A simple way to merge selected spreadsheet row(s) with user defined Google Docs or email templates with simple column references.